Re: Eliminating Virus Spam

2001-01-04 08:10:03
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, James M Galvin wrote:
I think this discussion needs to separate at least two distinct issues.

1. Should the IETF elist messages be scanned for viruses?

2. Should the IETF elist restrict the type of content that can be
   submitted?

Bear this in mind when you say that - I am running (in the spirit of
inclusion) an operating system / mailservice that I wrote myself.  My
system is set up such that, upon receiving an e-mail which contains any
sort of attachment it does not recognize (and it doesn't recognize
anything but 7-bit ASCII text), it immediately replies to every address
mentioned in the e-mail, including every attachment, and throwing in a
virus for every other system for which one is known.  Please be certain to
include virus-scanning which respects the fact that to my system, all
attachments are viruses.

(Naturally, I have configured my system to APPEAR as though I'm just using
PINE, but trust me - it works the way I say it does.  Really.)

-= flail? http://flail.com/ =-
 -= the online comic strip =-