RE: Eliminating Virus Spam

2001-01-03 15:40:02
I'm not posting much so bear with me - I really want to share this with you.
The first step would be for everyone to be aware if they have received,
opened (duh) and thus are sending out a virus. I don't mean on this list - I
believe everyone here is diligent about this - for the most part.  As an
added safety feature I advise not to keep any listserver address in the
Outlook Contacts list.
As far as the anti-virus spam, well it is obviously a 'shameless plug'. One
way of advertising that they detected a virus is to broadcast it to everyone
who 'would have received it' but they were 'saved by this wonderful
anti-virus software' - you get the picture. Otherwise how would you know a
company called "Antigen" even exists? Of course they might achieve the
opposite effect. Now we don't even want to know.
To summarize it, viruses need to be handled once they are out there, also
folks have to be notified but there must be a better way than filling
everyone's mailbox with 'dumbo-spam'. I am thinking of a server-side action
such as: Antivirus detects virus, removes attachment, adds to body of email:
"Virus xyz detected in attachment - attachment removed." Any other info will
only be available to the admin of the mail server.
As far as these antivirus-spam messages are concerned, perhaps it is worth
the trouble to find a way to save a 'template' of the most frequent ones,
flag incoming emails if the subject or the 'from' field contains 'Antivirus'
or 'Virus' or 'Detected' and scan the flagged emails against the templates.
If they are identical except for the variables, just drop them. Maybe find a
way to just get the first one through so everybody will be alerted - once.

Thanks for your time and I wish you a Happy, Prosperous New Year!

Lillian

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||
http://www.imarketingnews.com || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||