Re: When presentations are a good idea (Re: IETF logistics)

2001-01-03 16:20:02
On 1/3/01 at 12:44 PM -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

2. IETF meetings should not be used for introducing ideas or specifications; use the list.

There are times where meetings can better for "introducing ideas" than the mailing lists are. If people in a WG think that the WG should attack a new problem, and many people have proposed solutions for that problem, hearing three different presentations of the problem and proposed solutions in a face-to-face meeting can be useful.

As you might have anticipated, I strongly disagree. Three internet drafts of the three different presentations of problem and proposed solution are completely appropriate. If there are questions about those I-Ds that need to be discussed in a face-to-face, that is perfectly acceptable. However, dog and pony shows are a waste of time and only serve to lend more support to the person with the prettier dog and pony. If you can't write your proposal down in an I-D effectively, then it's not going to go into an RFC effectively and we might as well not waste face-to-face meeting time on the proposal at all.

pr

--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated