Re: Number of Firewall/NAT Users

2001-01-21 12:20:01
On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:22:43 EST, Keith Moore said:
it is desirable that it be such a network.  I remember when the email
network was a heterogeneous network consisting of UUCP, BITNET, DECnet,
SMTP, X.400, and a few other things thrown in.  It "worked", sort of,
but we had all kinds of problems with the translations at the boundaries,

Gee thanks Keith... you bring back painful memories of running one of
the bitnet-internet gates. :)

Every few weeks, I'm *still* seeing things sniffing around for our Bitnet
gateway.  The interesting part is that the gateway (vtbit.cc.vt.edu) isn't
in the DNS anymore, hasn't been for close to 18 months, and I only *see*
these screw-ups if they manage to find the machine that *used* to be the
*unpublizised* MX front-end for the gateway.

Let's stamp out NAT, *now* - before it becomes too entrenched and we can
never get rid of it.  We don't need that sort of "worked" again.

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech