STD-2 is obsolete

2001-02-01 05:40:03
Joe Touch wrote:

It is a paradox to begin one standard by selectively omitting
current standards (e.g., RFC1122).

I believe that that is called "making progress". Cited
from section 4.20 of RFC-1336:
  "I think three factors contribute to the success of the
   Internet:
   1) public documentation of the protocols,
   2) free (or cheap) software for the popular machines, and
   3) vendor independence."

Thus, it is not "end-to-end-purity" or because the existence
of any organization.

Speaking of keeping standards, I am wondering why STD-2
is still RFC-1700, although the current version is kept by
IANA at http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm .

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org