Re: STD-2 is obsolete

2001-02-02 11:30:02

"Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" wrote:

Joe Touch wrote:

IANA can't change the status of an STD - that's an IESG action.
If you think this matters, I would raise it with the latter.

Agreed.

I was not aware that there was ever a proposed STD-1 I-D and/
or last call.

STDs are labels of existing standard RFCs which go through
the usual procedure. From RFC1718, the Tao of the IETF:

   To help clear up some confusion, there are now two special sub-series
   within the RFCs: FYIs and STDs.  The For Your Information RFC sub-
   series was created to document overviews and topics which are
   introductory.  Frequently, FYIs are created by groups within the IETF
   User Services Area.  The STD RFC sub-series was created to identify
   those RFCs which do in fact specify Internet standards.

Anyway, is it possible to declare (by whoever)
the http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm as STD-2? Or, perhaps a
mini RFC as STD-2 that informs where to get the current
numbers?

The procedure would generally be to update RFC1700,
resubmit it, and _then_ have STD-2 point to that new RFC.
(something IANA would do)

Alternately, or at least as an interim, the text in STD2 could
include the URL. However, URLs are not considered "normative
references", so it doesn't appear it would be appropriate to
use just the URL as a persistent solution here.

I also believe that more information should be added into an
RFC:
- where to get an RFC
- where to get the recent status of an RFC

As far as I know, the recent status is supposed to be
at the top of the RFC.

As to where to get them, that's already in rfc-index.txt
(which is in the same directory as the RFCs):

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to:  rfc-info(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU
with the message body help: ways_to_get_rfcs.

For example: