Re: Mail sent to midcom (fwd)

2001-02-02 11:20:03
Lloyd and all,

  I am heartened to read your post and somewhat encouraged to see that
other than myself and a very few others that someone has the courage
to stand up for open discourse and free exchange of ideas on the IETF
mailing lists.  I for one agree with you that if filtering is needed by
participants on any IETF mailing list it can be done on the participant
level not through a moderator of any sort.  Using a moderator is
paramount to selective censorship.  And any form of censorship is
wrong....

Lloyd Wood wrote:

IETF mailing lists are intended for OPEN discussion; the benefits
(cross-pollination between lists, lack of inhibition about stating
your opinions) are widely recognised as outweighing widely-accepted
drawbacks (e.g. Peter Lewis advertising every forum everywhere he can
think of, allisat going on yet another hallucinogen-induced trip down
memory lane).

midcom is not open. midcom should not be part of the IETF, much less a
working group.

No, I don't care that having a moderator-in-the-middle filtering
everything is in the spirit of the midcom charter and must be for my
own good. I _really_ don't like the concept of an IETF-approved
poster to a mailing list on an IETF-run server.

We can do our own filtering, if we choose to, and we don't need the
IETF to do it for us. Moderator approval of individual posters is
outside the spirit of RFC2418, and would require AD and IESG approval.

What are we coming to?

L.

<L(_dot_)Wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>