Re: Mail sent to midcom (fwd)

2001-02-02 09:50:04
    I agree that it's wrong to assuming that "." is a separator, but if
    you have a subscriber named "xxx(_dot_)yyy(_at_)zzz", how likely is it
really
    that a posting from "xxx(_at_)zzz" is spam?

Aah, I wasn't seeing your heuristic correctly before.  I agree, the
probability such a thing is spam is pretty low, and the downside of
getting it wrong is "harmless" enough.  So, you could even automate such
a thing.

The ding that I got in this "parsing localpart space" was unsubscribing
"xxx(_dot_)yyy(_at_)zzz" because I assumed that "xxx(_at_)zzz" was a match.
Fortunately, I've always sent "good-bye" messages so the mistake was
caught more or less immediately, but it really turned me off to
localpart parsing, which, spam filtering aside, I still think is wrong.

Jim