Re: Mail sent to midcom (fwd)

2001-02-02 12:00:03

"Keith" == Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:
    >> I run many lists. They are now all restrict_post, but I always make
    >> a corresponding -nomail list. Both are managed by majordomo, but -nomail
    >> has defunct aliases.
    >>
    >> tcpdump-workers(_at_)tcpdump(_dot_)org is like this, and receives daily
posts
    >> from people reporting problems.

    Keith> if the list is set up right, people don't have to report such
problems.
    Keith> the suspect messages go to the moderator; the moderator either
approves

  The daily reports are about tcpdump, not about problems on the list.

    Keith> them or not based on whether they're on topic for the list.  if they
    Keith> are, the moderator can add the poster's address to the list of those
    Keith> who can post withut moderation.

  That is *exactly* what happens.

    Keith> adding support for recognizing subaddresses just optimizes this
    Keith> process - the moderator doesn't have to deal with quite so many

  Yes. Many mailers do this.

  Mailman at IETF won't even let me subscribe with a subaddress, since
it uses the SMTP From: to determine subscription.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
        mailto:mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
mailto:mcr(_at_)solidum(_dot_)com