Re: STD-2 is obsolete

2001-02-05 11:20:02
"Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" wrote:

Joe Touch wrote:

I was not aware that there was ever a proposed STD-1 I-D and/
or last call.

STDs are labels of existing standard RFCs which go through
the usual procedure.

But, neither I was aware that there was ever an I-D and/or a
last call for RFC-2600 or RFC-2700.

RFC2026 indicates that there are some RFCs, notably STD1,
which are reissued periodically, and it isn't clear that
this goes back through the draft procedure.

Assigned numbers, by its own description, is a snapshot of
an ongoing process. The fact that it was accepted as an RFC
implies that it ncan and should be updated periodicaly.

Finally, the document itself declares that the current
values for the assigned numbers are NOT in the document, but
rather in a file at the following address:

The files in this directory document the currently assigned values for
several series of numbers used in network protocol implementations.

        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments

--

Anyway, is it possible to declare (by whoever)
the http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm as STD-2? Or, perhaps a

The 'mini RFC' is already in STD-2, FWIW.

As to where to get them, that's already in rfc-index.txt
(which is in the same directory as the RFCs):

Unfortunately, it is not so obvious (especially for the one who
has no idea about the RFC-Editor mechanism) that rfc-index.txt
exists.

Search engines are your friend in this case.
A quick search on Google points, first shot, to
the RFC-Editor, which indicates the index:

        http://www.rfc-editor.org/

The IETF's RFC pages also contain a link to that RFC:

        http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

Joe