Re: STD-2 is obsolete

2001-02-01 12:30:03

Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Joe Touch wrote:
Speaking of keeping standards, I am wondering why STD-2
is still RFC-1700, although the current version is kept by
IANA at http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm .

Very good question. I'll be glad to raise the issue with IANA;
at least 1700 and STD-2 should be obsoleted in their current form.

afaik nothing in 1700 has been rescinded, so it isn't obsolete;
it's simply updated by http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm

I was using the term 'obsolete' as in 'obsoleted by',
as used in other standards that have been updated by
subsequent RFCs.

IANA can't change the status of an STD - that's an IESG action.
If you think this matters, I would raise it with the latter.

Agreed.

I was expecting that IANA would initiate taking the action with
the IESG, not that they would supercede it.

Joe