Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables

2001-02-14 20:50:03
Keith,

At 10:02 PM 2/14/2001 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> IPv6 does not solve the need to renumber if you change providers (and no,
> not everyone can be a provider -- IPv6 uses CIDR, just like IPv4).  Until
> that issue is addressed, there will be NATs.  Even for v6.

I don't think so -  first, because IPv6 has more hooks for renumbering
than v4 (though more work is needed);

If end users are required to modify configuration files, you will see NAT so they don't have to.

and second, because a lot of folks
will want to use IPv6 precisely because they need to avoid NAT breakage.

Technogeeks, perhaps. The vast majority of people on the Internet who are behind NATs most likely don't even know it.

Rgds,
-drc