Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables

2001-02-15 14:20:02
Keith,

At 10:44 PM 2/14/2001 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
If end users are required to modify configuration files, you will see NAT
so they don't have to.
not if the NATs cause more pain than modifying the config files.

True.  However, a company that produces a NAT that is more painful to
use/operate than modifying config files will not likely be in business long.

In many cases, NATs are already more painful than modifying config files...
it's just that the pain associated with using NATs comes later.

I presume that "technogeeks" includes networking professionals who can't
make their B2B applications work reliably over NATs?

Given the penetration of NAT, particularly in the business world, I suspect
B2B applications that do not work with NAT will not exist too long.

hence the desire to tunnel everything over HTTP, which produces its own
pain.

Keith