Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables

2001-02-15 11:10:02

"J. Noel Chiappa" wrote:

    > From: "David R. Conrad" <david(_dot_)conrad(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com>

    > IPv6 does not solve the need to renumber if you change providers ...
    > Until that issue is addressed, there will be NATs.  Even for v6.

Oh, I can't resist:

It's completely appalling that when I move to a new house, my street address
changes. It's such a hassle; I have to tell all my friends to update their
address books, get new business cards, etc, etc, etc. Why do I have to change
street addresses just because I moved? Can't ICANN^H^H^H^H^H the US Post
Office fix this? No? Well, clearly they are in the pay of some evil nasty
multi-nationals (or they *are* an evil, nasty multi-national). I demand a
Congressional hearing at once! It's all a US Government plot to shaft the rest
of the world! The UN needs to look into this!

Actually, in the UK you can do just what you wish ;-)
You give a name to your house (say, "The Tulip") and
the post office knows where The Tulip is. If you move,
you can do the same at your new location, provided
there is no conflict.  This seems to be more similar to the
notion of using an IP number as a name -- but isn't this
why we need DNS? ;-)

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

PS: BTW, urban legend says that in the UK if you name your house
"NOT IN SERVICE" you may actually get no water/electricity bills
because clerks purportedly use that tag for houses not in service.