Functionality needed in NATs (Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables)

2001-02-18 04:20:01
At 16:36 15/02/2001 -0800, Bernard D. Aboba wrote:
Today, NAT penetration among consumers isn't very high because networked
multi-PC homes are relatively rare. However, as multiple device homes
proliferate along with home networking, I would expect the majority of
consumer PCs to be behind NATs by 2005. Unless we start thinking now
about the minimal NAT functionality necessary to deploy IPv6, and get
this into shipping  NATs soon, we will face very substantial barriers to
IPv6 adoption down the road.

I think (as far as I can think :-) that the minimum functionality needed to deploy (say) 6to4 behind a NAT is the ability to configure it to pass all packets carrying 6to4 traffic to a separate box.

Other scenarios have other requirements.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94