Re: NAT natural example, Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables

My example of the UK postal system, with addresses that behave as names,
was NOT an attempt to make a parallel between the postal system and the
full glory of the Internet.  BTW, I don't believe in such parallels. Sorry to
disapoint
those that thought so! ;-)

My sole puprose with that example was to show that there is a natural need
for heterogeneous address systems and, therefore, for address translation.
Many features found in Internet NAT are also IMO found in the UK postal
scheme.  The analogy is not perfect (as I said myself) but, what analogy ever
is?

So, rather than trying to find where the analogy is wrong, or claiming that
I am ignoring the difference between  identification, location, and routing,
this dialogue was based on illustrating those two points, to wit:

1. there is a natural need for heterogeneous address systems and,

2. therefore, there is a natural need for address translation.

Nothing else, and nothing more, was claimed.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck