Re: capitulation to closed organizaions (was Re: rfc publication suggestions)

2001-03-13 01:20:02
At 22:49 12/03/2001 -0800, James P. Salsman wrote:
Good point, but here is another example:  suppose I sent you a
picture as an attachment to an email.  Would you like to know
whether it was attached from my camera or scanner (or filesystem)?
Sure, the datestamps are important, but don't have everything you
might want to know.

actually all a standard that trusts the end-users can accomplish is whether *the sender wants you to react as if* the picture was sent straight from a camera; he can't verify the origin of the picture.

for that purpose, I think "here's my hairdo of the day" in the text preceding the picture is more effective (and more informative) than a content-disposition header.

(and I think overloading the content-disposition header is the Wrong Thing, anyway - how the sender composed the message is not a content disposition.)

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94