Re: capitulation to closed organizaions (was Re: rfc publication suggestions)

2001-03-13 08:40:03
James P. Salsman wrote:

[...] suppose I sent you a picture as an attachment to an email. Would you like to know whether it was attached from my camera or scanner (or filesystem)?

The human reading the email _might_ want to know, in which case the body of the message is the right place to put that information - not a header that they don't (and shouldn't) see.

The Content-Disposition header should not be about where the body part _came_from_ - it is about where it should _go_to_ (its Disposition, not its Source).

If you think that there is a reason to tell the MUA about the source (personally, I don't see what I would do with such a thing), then argue for a new header that does that (and get mired in the security/trust issues already cited elsewhere), but don't try to change the usage of Disposition.