RE: presentation-prep as safety hazard

2001-03-21 15:50:02
JR is fully right here. You better be a bit conservative
when shuttling people around in metal tubes at 30.000+
feet.

Positive note for those who suffer from info deprivation
in aircraft: technology is being developed right now
which will allow you to use your cellphone onboard.

This will probably transform aircraft from a flying metal
tube into a flying aggegration of a few hunderd telephone
booths - without acoustical isolation. Ai me.

Leen Mak.

-----Original Message-----
From: joaquin(_dot_)riverarodriguez(_at_)telefonica-data(_dot_)com
[mailto:joaquin(_dot_)riverarodriguez(_at_)telefonica-data(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 9:52
To: John Stracke
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: presentation-prep as safety hazard

John Stracke <francis(_at_)ecal(_dot_)com> con fecha 20/03/2001 05:35:15 PM

Destinatarios: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
CC:      (cci: Joaquin Rivera Rodriguez/TDC)
Asunto: Re: presentation-prep as safety hazard

<Dave Crocker wrote:
<
<> On the way here, the flight attendant insisted that I turn
off my Palm Pilot.
<>
<> Do they make people turn off hearing aids?
<
<And, if they do, how do they tell them it's OK to turn them
back on? :-)
<
<The remaining question, of course, is how come the airplane
<manufacturers can't build a plane to resist this interference.

Could it be that IT developments take 6 months and plain
developments takes 5 to
10 years.
Who had a wireless device 5 years ago? What about 10 years
ago? What about in
1969, when the first 747 started to fly?

Could it be that a bug in your ERP may make you loose money,
a bug in a plain
makes you loose your life.

Could it be that if "windows" crashes every couple of days
you just reboot it,
if a 747 crashes one single time, +400 persons die. (Who does
reboot them)

I agree that plains should be better "shield" but, maybe we
(the internet
community) are not the ones to tell other how to do more
reliable things and,
fore sure we have a very week point when it comes to liabilities.

Anyway, do we know what a router and a switch are, becouse,
everyone on avionics
knows what a transponder or a flap is, with no doubt about
its definition or
functions.

Regards,
J.R.