focus Re: filtering of mailing lists and NATs

2001-05-22 19:50:02
Vernon Schryver wrote:
        [..]
IETF lists have sufficient reasons to be just as open.  All of the
proposals for filtering the IETF's lists would have false postive rates
far worse than 1/month, where delays of more than 24 hours count as a
false positive.

I think you're exaggerating a few things. First, the main proposal
in this thread is subscribe-before-post, which suffers no false
positives if you... ummm... subscribe before you post. Second,
since when has the IETF's activities been so urgent that a 24hr
delay on a "I forgot to subscribe before posting" email would be
mind-blowingly critical? (IMO, never. But hey, I take walks in the
sun every so often...)

I don't recall this thread seriously focusing on content filtering
(*being* filtered, sure ;)

        [..]
There is only one thing that prevents those who want a spam-free IETF list
from having it.

Since I don't recall seeing absolute 'spam-free'-ness being a
design goal, I'm not sure who "those" people are. But then again,
I take walks....

cheers,
gja
Grenville Armitage                http://members.home.net/garmitage/