Re: filtering of mailing lists and NATs

2001-05-23 10:20:02
--------
(maybe the above will fool majordomo into not filtering this message?)

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Keith Moore wrote:

    > Every IETF mailing list has a charter, a known purpose for its use.  It
    > is entirely reasonable and legitimate to reject all submissions that are
    > outside the scope of the charter.  If we can not agree on that point
    > this whole discussion is pointless.

    I couldn't disagree with you more.

    It's one thing for a chair to point out that a topic is not within the
    list's charter, and quite another thing for someone to arbitrarily filter
    material that he/she doesn't think is within the list's charter.

So your point is simply that you want the decisions of what is in scope
and what is not to be visible?

that's only one aspect of filtering list traffic based on the From
address.  It's not the only issue of concern.

In any case, you delegate the job to the Chair.

no, even the Chair should not be filtering messages based on whether
he/she thinks they are in scope, for reasons stated previously.
correcting people who post off-topic contributions is okay;
editing or censoring those contributions is not.  the only way to
make those contributions (and the Chair's corrective action)
sufficiently visible is to allow both to be posted to the list.

I suspect you're equating list maintainer with the sysadmin who manages
the technology.  In that case I largely agree with your assessment
above.  However, more generally, we are talking about a moderator (not a
censor).  In that case, the criteria used really does depend on the
competence of the moderator, but I really don't see a big issue here.
It seems to me we choose a moderator much the same way we choose a Chair
of a working group.

no, I reject the entire concept of a moderator on an IETF list to do
anything other than filter obvious spam.  I don't care who is doing
the censoring - the chair, the AD, the list maintainer, or someone else.
It's inappropriate no matter who does it.

    > Mail filtering is not in and of itself a bad thing.  It is a tool, a
    > legitimate tool, that when used as part of a larger solution to the
    > problem of maintaining the integrity of a mailing list is extremely
    > valuable.

    I don't disagree with this statement as a generality.  But the way
    that you suggest that the tool be used would destroy the integrity
    of the mailing list as a vehicle for open discussion rather than
    maintaining it.

I don't see how.  I'm suggesting that filtering can be used to automate
some of the process of maintaining the integrity of a mailing list and
open discussion.  I don't understand how you turned that around.

because a discussion in which some participants' input are censored
is not an open discussion.  it lacks integrity because it pretends
to be an open discussion when in reality it is subject to control
and/or censorship, and this has a chilling effect on the discussion
and on the result.

    > Restricting the posting of messages to subscribers is not bad, it is an
    > excellent choice for the first line defense against off-topic messages.

    Once again I empatically disagree.  Whether a posting comes from a
    subscriber is completely orthogonal to whether the message is on topic.

I agree.  To complete my thinking I would add that most IETF lists are
pretty good at being self-policing, as far as managing subscribers is
concerned.  In that context, if a subscriber starts moving "outside
scope" we deal with that pretty well.  Thus, it's not that subscribers
are always on topic, it's that we know how to deal with subscribers who
are off-topic.

and we should use the same mechanism for dealing with non-subscribers are
off-topic.  whether a contributor is a subscriber is irrelevant.

    The issue here is whether it is appropriate at all.  Nobody has argued
    that other solutions could not be considered.

As I asked above I will ask again here, is it that you are opposed to
mail filtering as a tool or mail filtering behind closed doors?

mail filtering as a tool for bringing messages to the attention of a
moderator is okay, but that moderator's role should be limited to
filtering obvious spam.

Keith