Re: "I am a strong believer in the democratic process."

2001-06-25 07:10:03
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:26:07 +0700, "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim"
<rms46(_at_)vlsm(_dot_)org>  said:

However, I still have difficulties to understand the
merit of having ".ip6.int" or ".ip6.arpa" or even
".mickey-mouse" for holding the reverse records. That
must be a 100 % political decision with no merit at all.

Well... we *DO* need to agree on what the root of the reverse tree will
be - otherwise it's hard to write tools that do reverse lookups. ;)

The politics starts when you realize that somebody owns the spot that
you're parking the tree.

Using .mickey-mouse is bad - there's *enough* Bad Karma attached to the
whole TLD issue via ICANN and the like.

Using .ip6.int or .ip6.arpa requires that the manager(s) of .int or .arpa
agree/consent/support that usage (which they may not, for a number of
reasons).   Looking at the SOA/NS entries for .INT and .ARPA is rather
revealing.  I'm pretty sure that the current set of NS entries for .INT
is sufficient to support reverse lookups under the current level of IP6
deployment, but will require some major upgrading in the future. ;)

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst