Re: "I am a strong believer in the democratic process."

2001-06-25 19:20:02
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

However, I still have difficulties to understand the
merit of having ".ip6.int" or ".ip6.arpa" or even
".mickey-mouse" for holding the reverse records. That
must be a 100 % political decision with no merit at all.

Well... we *DO* need to agree on what the root of the reverse tree will
be - otherwise it's hard to write tools that do reverse lookups. ;)

Fine, I have no problem with that statement.

The politics starts when you realize that somebody owns the spot that
you're parking the tree.

Using .mickey-mouse is bad - there's *enough* Bad Karma attached to the
whole TLD issue via ICANN and the like.

Sure, I also understand that there are many intercoursing
manureholes around there (is this term polite enough :-) ?

Using .ip6.int or .ip6.arpa requires that the manager(s) of .int or .arpa
agree/consent/support that usage (which they may not, for a number of
reasons).   Looking at the SOA/NS entries for .INT and .ARPA is rather
revealing.  I'm pretty sure that the current set of NS entries for .INT
is sufficient to support reverse lookups under the current level of IP6
deployment, but will require some major upgrading in the future. ;)

Therefore, I believe that meritocracy is fine at a WG
level. Unfortunately, it is not at the upper level like
IESG and IAB. Worse, requiring an ICANN BoD candidate
be highly technical skilled sounds like requiring Lou Gestner
(IBM, an ex cookie manager, http://www.ibm.com/lvg/ )
to understand the inner beauty of an IBM 360/91 pipeline
processor.

Last, perhaps long time IETF participants (or whatever
the political term is), should take a sabbatical term: life
is not just reading emails (especially on weekends)! Visiting
South Africa is a good idea, to study on how a minority gave
up its long time domination.

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
Get there in time:mirror on the wall-Genesis:tail -f trick