Re: I am *NOT* a believer in the democratic process.

2001-06-25 11:30:02
stef:> Keith -- I beg to differ.  There are a number of other groups that
 have considered taking their work to the IETF, but decided instead to
 just use the IETF WG Processes, as described in the relevant RFCs.

Indeed they have.  But that's orthogonal to the point I was making.

stef:> So, the answer is, if you want to do it the IETF way, then just use
 the WG working rules, and take the results to the IETF when you are
 done, if the results look good enough.

No, that would be sheer lunacy.  Because it's quite often the case
that such work:

- either doesn't consider the problem from enough different points
  of view, or

- suffers from a lack of technical competence, or

- was actually developed in a (semi-)closed environment in order
  to favor certain stakeholders over others

It's one thing to say that other groups would do well to use certain
parts of the IETF process, quite another to say that IETF should
endorse the work of other groups.

COOK: good lord keith.... Surely stef's whole point is that the Area Directors, IESG, and IAB need only accept work that WAS good enough from THEIR own point of view.

it sounds like you are saying that it simply is not possible to construct anything that could even merit IETF review unless you did the construction from scratch within all the channels of the IETF? If so it sounds like you are determined to keep the views of the current AD's, IESG and IAB as a gate through which ALL ideas must pass and are saying that it is flat out impossible for anyone to develop working code that could pass the scrutiny test. How do you know until, you see it?

sounds to me like doctrinaire rigidity.

Keith

The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax) cook(_at_)cookreport(_dot_)com   Index to 9 years
of the COOK Report at http://cookreport.com From now through Sept 30th half price sale on university library site license and access to ALL back issues.
Site license $575 and all back  issues $300.  http://cookreport.com/sale.shtml