Re: too many "Out of Office AutoReply"

2001-06-29 11:10:04
At 1:23 PM -0400 6/29/01, John C Klensin wrote:
Paul, while I generally agree with your description of the
problem, we _do_ have a standard in this case.   RFC 2919
specifies some list-specific special headers.

Correct. That standard was issued after all of the SMTP servers in question were released. (For those of you who don't want to look in the RFC archive, that RFC was issued in March 2001.)

  From episodic
examinations of messages arriving here from various lists, it
has gotten reasonably well implemented, almost certainly enough
so to  promote it to Draft Standard if someone does the work in
the next few months.

But, of course, that won't help in the current case, because this list doesn't use the standard.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium