Re: Any value in this list ?

2001-07-31 17:50:03
All vendors do it, because no matter what customers say, they really do prefer
ease of use and fancy features to system security.  If you try to sell a truly
secure system that is configured by default in a secure mode, nobody will buy
it.  Any vendor that wants to stay in business, including Microsoft, rapidly
comes to understand this.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Lewis" <lewis(_at_)tislabs(_dot_)com>
To: "Randy Bush" <randy(_at_)PSG(_dot_)COM>
Cc: "Ian King" <iking(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 01:03
Subject: RE: Any value in this list ?

Isn't this what Cliff Stoll wrote about Unix vendors in the Cuckoo's Egg? ;)

At 1:06 PM -0400 7/31/01, Randy Bush wrote:
from the outside, it appears as if microsoft consciously decided to
distribute software with everything enabled so that their product
would be perceived as very easy to use.  the problem is that this
means it is also easy to abuse.  so the net is now paying for them
having a more salable product.  who gains, who is bearing the cost?

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email:
lewis(_at_)tislabs(_dot_)com

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.