RE: Last Call: Using SOAP in BEEP to Proposed Standard

2001-09-10 15:30:02
At 11:36 AM 9/10/2001, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
> An individual draft such as draft-etal-beep-soap-04
> should not be published as an RFC, let alone a proposed standard,
> without first chartering a working group on the general issue of
> transporting SOAP.

I disagree, and think that the general issue of transporting BEEP, which
necessarily will encompass transports other than TCP/IP, is definitely
outside the scope of the IETF. This one piece is here because we're the
ones who know how to do it.

Indeed.

The IETF has a long history of permitting documents to be made standards-track, without first having a working group.

It is also worth noting that, so far, all we have been hearing are questions about the protocol, rather than criticisms that it was done badly.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464