Re: Last Call: Using SOAP in BEEP to Proposed Standard

2001-09-10 15:00:02
Quoting two parts of Christian's message:

It is true that HTTP is the only transport defined in the SOAP
specification, but SOAP can be mapped to a variety of transports,
including direct mapping over TCP or UDP. Do we really believe that
carrying SOAP over BEEP is better than carrying it over TCP? Did we even
discuss that? Did we get some form of requirement from the WG defining
the XML protocol in the W3C?

I don't think it is a good idea for the IETF to issue a proposed
standard on how to transport SOAP over the Internet without first having
an organized discussion of what the transport should be, and without a
well defined cooperation with the W3C.

Careful consideration of the tranport mapping decisions is
really important, agreed.  Why not use this Last Call discussion
to bring out the issues of SOAP directly over TCP rather over
BEEP (but not over UDP, please - SOAP should not do its own
reliability)?  A good reason for use of BEEP is to have
transaction multiplexing.

To your point about WC3, there has* been some coordination in
the form of teleconferences among IESG/IAB folk and WC3 counterparts.
The draft wasn't last called until after this group discussed the
coordination aspects of last calling it.

Allison