Re: Last Call: Using SOAP in BEEP to Proposed Standard

2001-09-10 18:30:05
Dave,
        I don't think you quite got what I was trying to ask, so I'm
trying again:

  Given an ID process in which anyone can say anything to
  anyone, how can someone track the "venue" choice of an ID
  which has not been formally accepted as a work item by any
  working group?

        There are processes for dealing with establishing the
appropriate venue for work items, and there are known coordination
points established among ADs, working group chairs, and non-IETF
standards bodies.  Those haven't been at work when individual
submissions are brought into the standards track and we have other
processes for individual submissions as a result.  One of the
questions which is certainly appropriate at that time is: "did this
document get the review and input from the appropriate communities"?
That gets to the venue question pretty quickly.
        I can certainly understand why you feel that the presentation
of this work to the BEEP community constituted a reasonable effort at
coordination.  But you must remember cases where a working group's
decision not to adopt an ID as a work item reflected a conviction that
it wasn't worth the working group's efforts to fix it, rather than a
conviction that it was good enough on its own.
        I believe that this point in the process *is* a reasonable
time to ask those questions of any draft that didn't emerge from
the working group process.  I am fine with the answer "here's where
it was reviewed and what we thought", but I don't think we should
cut off the question.
        Aside from the specific issues, I'm frankly happy to see this
level of response to a last call; I'm much more worried about the ones
which pass through without some level of attention.
                                best regards,
                                        Ted Hardie