Re: Last Call: Using SOAP in BEEP to Proposed Standard

2001-09-11 11:10:03
(appreciating the distraction from today's shock...)

At 08:45 AM 9/11/2001, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
There are other "SOAP over foo" proposals in the wings too. I do agree that
the general question needs looking at. Maybe it's OK to have lots of
SOAP mappings, or maybe it isn't. Although mtr may disagree, imho this does
need to be considered before deciding to publish a Proposed Standard.

Does it?

Your suggestion reflects a model that the IETF acts as a gatekeeper to ensure only the right "number" of specifications.

However the actual history of IETF successes has permitted as many such mappings as folks feel inclined to make -- as long as they satisfy the usual IETF requirements for technical adequacy and community support.

With the possible exception of IP, itself, all efforts by the IETF to pretend that we can do such technology planning, like constraining competing choices down to a single winner, have failed.

All of them.

d/

ps. And of particular concern is that you are raising no specific technical concerns, thereby leaving the matter as one that is purely abstract.

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464