Re: Last Call: Using SOAP in BEEP to Proposed Standard

2001-09-11 15:10:03
Brian,

At 02:08 PM 9/11/2001, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I believe we have some responsibility to limit the number of
options.

We have a responsibility to evaluate each technical proposal on its merits.

You are raising the spectre of a possible scenario that currently has no basis. There is only one proposal on the table. Everything else is conjecture.

The IETF does best when it focuses on the real, immediate world, rather than on an infinite array of hypotheticals.

If you insist on playing the OSI card, please note that the real sin of the OSI effort was to try to pay attention to every possible future requirement, rather than paying attention to immediate ones. It advisable that we not replicate that error by way of impeding focused technical work.

> ps.  And of particular concern is that you are raising no specific
> technical concerns, thereby leaving the matter as one that is purely abstract.

Putting the Web Services world in a situation where it needs a discovery protocol
to find out how to layer SOAP is not at all an abstract issue.

How is that a problem for the current specification? (That's a rhetorical question, since the answer is: it isn't.)

So, we continue to have all the criticisms of this proposal focus on everything except the technical details of this proposal. How constructive.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464