Re: Specification verification tools

2001-10-03 17:30:02
Francois,

Yes, more access to freely available PER tools
would be a help. But even encodings as verbose
as BER and DER tend to compare favorably with
XML Encoding Rules (XER) representations. PER
generally though does better.

Phil Griffin

Francois Menard wrote:

Hopefully, the venue of XML in the ASN.1 community will result in more
open source PER runtime objects...

-=Francois=-

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of Phil
Griffin
Sent: October 3, 2001 2:45 PM
To: Henning G. Schulzrinne
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Specification verification tools

That note mentioned ASN.1 and several others.

Some language development that might be of interest
that bridges both ASN.1 and XML can be found to
various extents at:

   http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/xml/
   http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010807S0038
   http://www.ddj.com/news/fullstory.cgi?id=4341
   http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2001-02-28-e.html
   http://xml.coverpages.org/xer.html

This ASN.1 XML standards work should be completed
next week at an ASN.1 group meeting in Orlando,
FL, then immediately balloted. I understand that
tools support for this work is slated for fourth
quarter 2001 delivery.

There is a free tools list on the first site
listed, which I believe offers several ASN.1 syntax
checkers as well as pointers to other free and for
sale tools. Some of these are general, others quite specialized.

The new ITU-T ASN.1 Project is in the process of
compiling a list of verified ASN.1 modules that
are being made freely available to anyone at
http://www.itu.int:2001/ITU-T/asn1/database/.

Currently these seem to include only ITU-T
specifications, but I do not know what their
intended scope may be. An on line base of
correct IETF ASN.1 modules would certainly be
useful. A note to the web master or contact
might reveal more.

And of course, all of the ASN.1 and SDL standards
are now freely available from the ITU-T web site.
A revision of ASN.1 is currently underway that
will incorporate all of the TCs and amendments
into a new 2002 edition.

Phil Griffin

"Henning G. Schulzrinne" wrote:

Recently, the IESG sent a note describing and encouraging the use of
formally verifiable means of protocol specification, in addition to
English prose. To facilitate this effort, I will be setting a resource

web page to provide information on mechanisms and tools. (Unless there

is a formal IETF effort, of course.)

For now, please send me pointers to tools and possible languages or
other suitable means, including, for example, RFC 2234 (ABNF), ASN.1
as used for LDAP and SNMP, or XML schemas. Note that these tools are
meant for verification, not for code generation.

This is a "freelance" effort, and any statements or listings do not
necessarily reflect official IETF or IESG policy or recommendations.

Thank you.
--
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs