Re: Proposal for a revised procedure-making process for the IETF

2001-10-14 19:10:03
At 12:20 PM 10/14/2001, RJ Atkinson wrote:
At 23:18 13/10/01, Robert Elz wrote:
>The IESG needs to agree to the charter, that's clear, and the AD needs to
>agree to any milestone updates, etc - but for work that falls within the
>charter, the WG decides just what it wants to do.

        I don't think that has ever been the way IETF works.
Working Groups can't take up work outside their charter --
that is the entire point of having a charter.

Ran, perhaps you missed the part of Robert's text that you quoted that said "for work that falls within the charter"?

Robert's description certainly matches my own experience with the process of different working groups.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464