Re: censorship process?

2001-10-29 15:00:02
Dear Mr. Salsman,

My quest for a solution to the issue of email fraud did not solicit for alternative energy solutions. If this is your idea of a solution to the problem, I think it's pathetic. Nigeria (and Nigerians as a whole) are good people and you cannot degrade them for mail frauds from a few unscrupulous individuals. I question your own motives and you should be seen as one of those fraudsters. Are you trying to deny them of their revenue from oil as a country or are you looking for a new market for your so-called hydrogen gas? I suggest you take your marketing gimmicks somewhere else and look for a sustainable victim. Nigerians will not buy it, neither will IETF.  So Long and I apologise for adding to the spam.....

"James P. Salsman" wrote:

I would like to know more about the decision process involving
censorship on the IETF list.

About October 5th I sent a reply to a message from "Cel"
  http://ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg13899.html
which specifically asked for any ideas to stop the solicitation
from the "DEPARTMENT OF PETROLEUM RESOURCES ... LAGOS, NIGERIA"
  http://ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg13896.html

I suggested these URLs:
  http://www.phoenixproject.net/  (hydrogen as an alternative to petrol)
  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=22166&cid=2377370  (codeposition fusion)

My message was apparently lost.  I find it odd that a well-known
scam would be allowed while honest suggestions for less
destructive alternatives to a probable cause giving rise to the
"Nigerian Letter" scam would be censored.

I think the likely explanation is that an IETF administrator had
decided to pull messages regarding the subject, and found mine
inappropriate (and perhaps a joke) for a subjective reason.
In fact, I think all engineers, even those involved primarily
with communication technology, have a pressing need to support
the study of fossil fuel alternatives.

The way I always hoped this would happen was a greater support
for telecommuting.  But my attempts to encourage additional
telecommuting to the Cisco V.P. of Information Systems, when I
worked for him, were met with more direct and staunch forms of
suppression.

Cheers,
James