Re: Why is IPv6 a must?

2001-11-07 23:00:02
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 09:28:26PM -0800, Bill Manning wrote:
% >Actually, the engineering cost of building IPv6 into operating systems
% >is already essentially paid.  The cost of building it into routers and the
% >like
% >is paid.  The vendors are all (basically) IPv6-ready.
%
% Valdis,
%
% Your message is generally well put.  However, while it is possible to send
% the packets on the wire, the fundamental underlying scaling point, the
% routing system, has not been properly addressed.  Perhaps a solution can be
% retrofitted in, but then again, who knows?  This, I thought, was <largely>
% the point of multi6.
%
% Eliot

      Hum... I thought that multi6 was trying to figure out the ramifications
      of multihomeing w/ IPv6.  The issues wrt the routing system really
      need to occur in a WG devoted to better routing protocols, not one
      with a focus on multihoming.  at least IMHO...

multi6 is trying to agree on a strategy for multi-homing in IPv6
that meets a set of requirements. Amongst those requirements (in
the current, outdated draft, which we are hurrying to improve) is
this:

3.2 Additional Requirements

3.2.1 Scalability

   Current IPV4 multihoming practices contribute to the significant
   growth currently observed in the state held in the global inter-
   provider routing system; this is a concern both because of the
   hardware requirements it imposes and also because of the impact on
   the stability of the routing system.  This issue is discussed in
   great detail in [9].

   A new IPv6 multihoming architecture should scale to accommodate
   orders of magnitude more multi-homed enterprises without imposing
   unreasonable requirements on the routing system.

Hence, we hope to identify a solution which scales better than the
hole-punching antics common in IPv4.

So, Bill is right; scaling the routing system is not in the list
of objectives in multi6. However, if we find a good solution to
multihoming, we may be able to eliminate a big contributor to the
amount of state held in the routing system, and in that way reduce
the urgency of finding a scaling solution.

Joe