Re: Why is IPv6 a must?

2001-11-12 07:50:03

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:
Quite simply, a bunch of us *are* searching for a paradigm shift.

Indeed.  But a satisfactory one hasn't been found yet.

And, absent one, we have to keep making the net work.

By the way, if the rate of v6 adoption is any indication, v6 is doing
very healthily indeed. It isn't obvious to the greater world, but it
has almost certainly hit an exponential growth phase. Yes, we're still
talking about an infinitesimal fraction of the number of users v4 has,
but I now find it routine to discover that mail or http or ftp
connections to a host I've never heard of before are going over v6
when it used to be a thing that only happened deliberately. There are
a couple of orders of magnitude more users than a year ago -- I'm
going to work on some estimates of numbers and the growth for a talk
I'm giving in December and I'll post them here when I have them.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry(_at_)wasabisystems(_dot_)com