Re: ipv6 adoption....

2001-11-12 17:40:02
At 04:10 PM 11/12/2001 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
Hell, I roamed onto a university campus wireless network not that long
ago, and for the hell of it sent out a router discovery message and
found myself on the 6bone. No, not quite the same as finding my
dentist using v6, but an astonishing trend, even from the point of
view of my wildest dreams.

The phrase "damning with faint praise" comes to mind. Given how long IPv6 has been in the pipeline, the fact that it is available at an essentially production level in a minuscule level, so far, says that we are looking at a 10-20 year adoption cycle.

IPv6 seeks to change an existing infrastructure. That means that its adoption is vastly slower than an end-point change, such as adoption of MIME. And it took MIME 5 years to become seriously available, and at least 8 years before it was reliably available.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464