Re: ipv6 adoption....

2001-11-13 14:40:03

"Mike O'Dell" <mo(_at_)ccr(_dot_)org> writes:
[a pretty long rant]

Look, Mike, whether everything was handled ideally or not, we've got
what we've got and it is being deployed. Its the best solution
available for a set of significant problems we're currently facing. It
does not fix all of them, but nothing does. We also can't go and say
"if only the IETF had picked this idea instead" ad infinitum.

general availability has nothing to do with "being used"
the OSI protocol implementations were available on all major
platforms at the time.  that didn't get them used by people.

True enough. Of course, I know of no one who really used the OSI
stack, whereas I can name a lot of people using v6 every day -- myself
included -- and the growth rate is pretty astonishingly fast right
now. Availability doesn't guarantee use, but lack of availability
guarantees non-use. I think the reason the use picture has changed is
that there was a lot of interest but no way to do anything about it
until now.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry(_at_)wasabisystems(_dot_)com