RE: Who cares about ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, anyway? (was Re: ipv6 adoption....)

2001-11-15 12:30:03
At 11:33 PM +0100 11/14/01, Jeroen Massar wrote:
John W Noerenberg II <jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

 At 5:46 PM +0000 11/14/01, Lloyd Wood wrote:

 >since when did the wider IETF community (if, indeed, there is such a
 > >thing) read ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?

 One might get a sense of this by looking at the number of subscribers
 to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org vs. the number of people who show up at IETF
 meetings.

Maybe you should consider the fact that some people:
 - don't have time to attend due to work or other activities.
 - aren't in a position to attend (finance, disabilities, distance).
and many other factors?

That was part of my thought behind my suggestion, Jeroen. However, before we consider what the data means, we first have to have some data. Hence, the request. While it is certainly gratifying to indulge one's passions about the nature of the IETF, we'll make more headway in understanding our own culture, if we take the time to look at it objectively.

Communicating by email is much cheaper then don't you think?

Consequently, you reach people engaged in the work who couldn't otherwise participate. That is the essence of why WG decisions MUST come from the result of discussion on the WG mailing list.

best,
--

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com