Re: example .procmailrc stuff for announce lists

2001-11-23 14:10:02
On 11/23/01 at 1:02 PM -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:

...not make it a big deal to run free software on an old free or nearly free junk PC running sendmail and procmail on a free UNIX box.

No, lack of technical experience doing such things or time to do them is not a legitimate reason for demanding extra service from others who receive no payment.

So let me get this straight: I (and the folks desiring this service who have said so publicly and the other, I suspect much larger, bunch who have not said so publicly) should go out and get a PC and spend the time configuring and maintaining sendmail and procmail (instead of my simple though admittedly less powerful Macintosh SMTP server) so that the secretariat can avoid the one time investment of setting up two lists on the majordomo server that they're already running to receive the two sets of mail they're already sending and thereby cut down on the total number of messages sent. I'm just dying to know under what cost-benefit analysis the former is better than the latter. Heck, I'll tell you what: I'll get together with Steve Coya in Salt Lake City and over a beer or two help him create the two new lists so that we're not "demanding" any "extra service from others who receive no payment". In what world is reinventing the wheel multiple times a good idea?

(For the record, I've configured sendmail and procmail in the past and could do it again if I wanted to change my local software (and probably hardware) set up. Lack of technical experience is not at issue. Certainly I could find time to do so, though I think total time could be better invested.)

Besides, it has already been more than "attempted" by a third party.

Well, not yet. But as soon as Bruce goes and sets this up, I will certainly be subscribing to his lists (thank you Bruce!).

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102