Re: trying to reconcile two threads

2001-11-28 14:50:02
At 11:19 AM 11/28/2001 -0800, Fred Baker wrote:

I see a longish thread about the fact that some cable companies apparently are desperate to charge per IP address (something one can only do if IP addresses are in fact a scarce resource) and want to nullify a technology that might mask the scarceness of that resource.

It seems to me that these two can't both be true. IP Addresses cannot at once be scarce enough to charge for and non-scarce enough that scarcity is a non-issue.

Does anyone else see something schizoid about this discussion?

Fred,

I do not see the action of the cable companies to charge per IP address. Even with plentiful addresses, they would want a model that got them the most revenue. They would like to charge for each TV you connect to the cable too, but the PSCs and FCC stop that. And that is what it will take. Consumers taking this to the gov and getting rulings on acceptable practice.

As much as I might like to think otherwise, IPv6 won't stop this crazyness. Might even feed it.