Re: trying to reconcile two threads

2001-11-29 07:50:04
So the actual question is: how do we ensure that ISPs are motivated
to charge per /64 for IPv6, rather than charge per /128?

Mandating the availability of RFC 3041 addresses would help.

   Brian

Matt Crawford wrote:

It seems to me that these two can't both be true. IP Addresses cannot at
once be scarce enough to charge for and non-scarce enough that scarcity is
a non-issue.

Does anyone else see something schizoid about this discussion?

Not I.  I, as an end user or small site, cannot use just any IP
address.  Not even any old address that has been properly assigned to
me.  I can only use addresses that come from one of my ISP's
aggregates.  And with respect to that kind of address, my ISP is a
monopoly supplier.