Re: comments on Friday scheduling (was Plenaries at IETF 53)

2002-01-17 14:40:02
Sunday with little to do other than catch up on work that really
should have been done before I arrived.  So maybe doing more on Sunday
would be a possibility.

This is an interesting suggestion.

The two negatives are that a) some people do not work on Sunday, and 2)
those currently traveling to the IETF on Sunday would be forced to do it on
Saturday.

One can make similar arguments for the later end of the week:
We could hold meetings until Friday afternoon (or evening) and leave
on Friday evening (or Saturday).  But some people do not work on
Saturday (or for that matter, on Friday evening).  I don't think we
should try to choose between those who don't work on Saturday and
those who don't work on Sunday.

I actually think our scheduling is within epsilon of optimal.  Five days
(currently Sunday evening - Friday morning) seems to be about as much
as we can handle anyway.  No matter which day of the week we end on,
many people are going to leave a bit early, and the last meeting slot
is going to be unpopular.

Keith