Re: What is at stake?

2002-01-24 12:00:03
At 8:23 AM -0800 1/24/02, Dave Crocker wrote:
Conformance discussions like the current one have been regular fodder for Internet mailing lists for, perhaps, 15 years. They crop up every couple of years. The group "script" for the discussion is highly consistent.

As a consequence, citing the current occurrence as being for new reasons is entirely unfounded.

And wrong.

At least one other membership organization that develops telecommunication protocols does not impose any overt sanctions against those members who fail to comply (3GPP2).

It is a practical impossibility for ISOC (and by extension, the IETF) to act as a protocol compliance judge.

But can a society have a rule of law, if there is no explicit cost to the member who fails to conform? This is the essence of Ed's question.

Is it wrong for the IETF? In a practical sense, yes. Is this a question which applies to the IETF or to ISOC? To ask this a different way, does the IETF and its protocols constitute a society? (Looking up the etymology of society, its root is also found in the word "persecute".)

best,
--

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com