Re: What is at stake?

2002-01-24 12:20:04
Yup - agree with all this. Question was not the component networks, but the "Internet". In 1987 we still had the core routing system - EGP - and that was run centrally by the DOD. It wasn't until around '89-90 (later?) with the inception of the CIX and the NAPs that we got away from that model.

Sorry for the imprecision in my previous post - but in '87, unless you had a government sponsor you didn't get on the Internet and the actual 'control' and approval point for new connections was the DOD DCA. The inception of the NSFNet changed this somewhat but the original connections to the NSFNet were agreed to by ARPA who then directed DCA to make the connections.

Later, Mike