Re: off-list, Re: IAB/ISOC not IETF Charter Re: What isat stake? Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

2002-01-24 12:40:03
John C Klensin wrote:

Ed,

I've put this back on the list because I've deliberately been
quiet so far and I only want to go through this once, rather
than getting drawn into a debate which, like many of these
things, goes around in circles.

Back on the list is fine for me.  Thank you for your thoughtful
response. My option would actually be "Case 3" in your list
of two cases. So, let me add it, inlined below.

        Case 1: The IETF (or IAB, or Secretariat, or something
        [else] in the name of the IETF or ISOC) exercises
        editorial judgement about what goes onto that
        non-conformance list.

Not useful, as you point out. The IETF must have no power
about what is written.

        Case 2: We provide a publication forum for claims and
        counter-claims that would likely turn into a flame-fest
        with little value to anyone and no real case for "the
        IETF" getting involved.

Not useful. Who wants flame wars and high-noise traffic?

Now, let me summarize Case 3 -- which I briefly outlined before:

            Case 3. The IETF discusses and provides a simple, text-based, format
            for communications sent to a set of Non-Conformance Lists divided
            in areas. All NCL communications must have headers that match the
            predefined format, and are parsed/routed for their purposes, but no
body text
            (where the communication actually resides, the rest is addressing
and
            structure) is ever parsed. Communications that do not match the
format,
            are rejected -- after all, they are non-conforming.  Subscribers to
each
            NCL will receive the respective postings, that may also be publicly
read
            in web archives. Only subscribers to each NCL may post. There are no
            replies to NCL communications. All communications are the exclusive
            responsibility of the authors, with an IETF hosting content
disclaimer similar
            to those used by webhosting services. Communications expire in one
year,
            but may be freely renewed after expiration. Once posted, a
communication
            may be deleted by request from the poster herself, by the IETF or
when it
            expires. It may only be deleted by the IETF if it is clearly spam
or if there is
            a legal order to do so. The hosting content disclaimer, complete
absence
            of editorial control in technical matters and yielding to legal
orders should
             avoid the liability issues, but legal counsel  must be consulted
before the
             service starts.  The NCL should be free for mirroring elsewhere.

Since all NCL communications are under the exclusive responsability of their
own authors, both to post AND delete,  the authors are thereby encouraged to be
responsible ... or else. For  additional details, see the posting below.

Comments?

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

--On Thursday, 24 January, 2002 04:51 -0800 Ed Gerck