Re: off-list, Re: IAB/ISOC not IETF Charter Re: What is at stake? Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

2002-01-24 11:08:37
Ed,

I've put this back on the list because I've deliberately been
quiet so far and I only want to go through this once, rather
than getting drawn into a debate which, like many of these
things, goes around in circles.

It seems to me, after long discussions with lawyers over similar
things, that this latest suggestion drops into two cases:

        Case 1: The IETF (or IAB, or Secretariat, or something
        [else] in the name of the IETF or ISOC) exercises
        editorial judgement about what goes onto that
        non-conformance list.  In that case, especially if there
        is disagreement about what conforms and what doesn't,
        there is definite legal liability.  What protects the
        I-Ds is not publication, but the fact that, subject to
        constraints about form, releases, and boilerplate, we
        will post anything of even marginal relevance.  And,
        once posted, things are not taken down except for
        expiration or violation of those structural requirements.

        Case 2: We provide a publication forum for claims and
        counter-claims that would likely turn into a flame-fest
        with little value to anyone and no real case for "the
        IETF" getting involved.

Now, having watched the discussion, a few additional
observations:

(i) IETF standards are, for better or worse, typically written
in a way that is a bit vague at the margins.  We depend
critically on goodwill and good-faith adherence to the
robustness principle.  And, while we don't talk about it much,
that is probably one of our strengths: one of the things that
leads to constipation in more traditional standards groups is
trying to get all of the little details tied down (even if they
then fail to do so); in general, we just don't bother.  But this
approach means that, again, in general, the IAB couldn't go
around passing out badges of shame -- we would have to convene
WGs to study things carefully and reach community consensus.
And I would predict that process would often lead to clarifying
documents and assertions on the part of the offending companies
that they used to conform and we were changing things just so
they wouldn't.

(ii) Believe it or not, the IAB is fairly busy, at least
relative to the expectations of many of those who signed up as
members. Personally, I'd like to boost those
expectations/requirements a bit, but there has been a lot of
resistance from some incumbents and candidates.  The
expectations for IAB work levels is something you might discuss
with the Nomcom:  I'm not sure it would be a good idea in terms
of the tradeoff between candidate knowledge/quality and
available time, but, if they were select only people who were
prepared to invest, say, a quarter-time commitment every week,
we might see a different level of IAB work capability once
things rolled over.  Again, that is not a recommendation -- I
fear reducing the size of the candidate pool enough that quality
goes down.

For reference, we have gotten to the stage that I'm putting in
well over half time, a load that is probably comparable to that
of an IESG AD.  If we raise the general expectations to that of
the ADs, we just won't have the same mix of potential candidates
coming into the Nomcom process.  And, were we to raise it much
more than that --which I think serious conformance evaluations
would require-- we'd find ourselves with an IAB that was
completely dominated by the (increasingly few) large companies
who can afford to "donate" people essentially full-time to the
IETF.

If you wonder where the time goes, have a look at the IAB ENUM
notes and the OPES comments in the I-D directory.  These things
are important.  When done well, as I think both of those are and
as is necessary in these cases, you end up with short and
focused documents.  But getting then right, and agreed-to, and
focused properly, is just incredibly time-consuming.  And that
sort of stuff is critical to getting standards finished and
deployed, which must, I think, be IETF's first priority.

(iii) Now, all of that said, I think that a "Consumers Reports"
(tm, etc) for implementations --wrt both basic quality and
conformance-- would be really helpful.   But I'd see that as
best done as an independent, possibly-commercial, effort.  If I
had the surplus time and energy, I'd try to sell the idea to one
of the magazines that does evaluations of other things.  Their
opinions about what conforms and what doesn't are protected by
the usual press freedoms and their opinions are --realistically
as distinct from in appearance-- no worse than what IAB could
come up with unless WGs were reconvened... and their doing that
sort of work wouldn't muck up the standardization process.

(iv) Finally, if you think Microsoft would be likely to be
influenced by a "you do bad stuff" posting, I have news for you.
Yes, I think they have problems up there of people who are
sloppy and don't care enough about quality (standards-conforming
or otherwise).  And there still appear to be some people there
who have never looked at other systems or designs and assume
either that the wheel, the electron, and the computer were
invented in Redmond or that they are just inherently smarter
than everyone else.  I doubt that our saying "Microsoft violates
Standard X" would impact either of those groups.  But most of
what comes out of Microsoft appears to be the result of hard and
rational business decisions.  They have strong models about the
"user experience" they are trying to create and they appear to
be convinced that "user experience" is what sells product (it is
hard to argue with them about that).  If they can't figure out
(at whatever level of effort they are willing to invest) how to
both conform to a standard and how to provide that user
experience, the standard is going to lose.

Similarly, although I can't speak to what happens at Microsoft,
there is, these days, often a tension between "conform to
standard" and "put in some variations that help lock in users".
For better or worse, marketing strategies tend to win out in
that type of situation too.

Because of those issues, we have often done much better --in
terms of getting things to conform-- by working quietly to
educate people in producer-companies or organizations who want
to do the Right Thing than by, in the extreme cases, denouncing
the companies, especially when those denunciations result in
having the people with whom we could work ordered to not talk
with us.

       john

--On Thursday, 24 January, 2002 04:51 -0800 Ed Gerck