Re: Last Call: IETF and ITU-T Collaboration Guidelines to Informational

2002-03-06 22:20:02
I (and I believe Keith) think it is that latter point that needs to
be explicitly stated in the BCP: Bringing official knowledge to the
IETF is useful and important, but that does not give the delegate and
special weight or privilege in the working group deliberations.

I'd go as far as to say that the Study Group's opinion doesn't contribute
to group consensus at all (though it may influence the opinion of
WG participants who do contribute to consensus).  And if the delegate
participates in decision-making, he/she should be expected to use
his/her best personal engineering judgement about what's good for the
entire Internet - just like any other IETF participant.

It's not just ITU-T I'm worried about - I'm also concerned about the
use of this as a precedent for other kinds of 'representatives'.

Keith