Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-16 16:00:03
I don't want to approve senders. I want to approve posts. Some senders
send approved posts as well as non-approved posts. Some formats are not
approved (BCC, CC'd in long lists, etc.)

I don't want to filter on sender; I want to filter on spam content, so I
filter on spam content. Using non-spam info (sender) to infer spam
content is needlessly indirect.

it's a tradeoff.  one solution delays all messages and introduces a greater
risk that the moderator will exercise too much control over content.  the
other solution delays first posts more than others and risks some spam
getting through.

I prefer the latter compromise. however, I don't think this should be
carved in stone for all WG lists for all time.  I do think there need to be
clearly established limits on how zealous a moderator can be in filtering
messages, visibility for the moderator's actions, etc.

Keith