Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-16 07:30:02
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, James M Galvin wrote:

<snip>

That is not to say that you can not "automatically" manage the exception
list.  You just have to set it up.  LISTSERV (and my service) has a
NOMAIL feature.  I believe with all of majordomo, mailman, and Lyris you
can setup a "list" to be your exception list and then you configure the
real list to also look there when checking "permissions".  Thus you use
ordinary subscribe and unsubscribe commands to manage the exception
"list".  It's not integrated in that it requires the maintainer to set
it up, but once set up it will work.

    > In any case the penalty for getting
    > it wrong is delay, not censorship (at least in the case of the IETF
    > guidelines).

    Nope - the penalty is WORK for the moderator too.

Agreed, but the work is once per email address if you add every
exception to the "authorized" list as you discover them.  Once things
settle down there shouldn't be very much work.

Jim

there is also a work around for majordomo lists - if you "re-purpose"
the .intro file - see:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/majordomo/secondary.html

this is easier to manage than a second list, although this is passive
for list members unless you announce it via the info file -- I just
add secondary addresses as they occur -- users who want to declare a
secondary would need to send email to owner-listname.

- lel